The culinary adventures of a 20-something woman navigating the wonderful world of food!

The culinary adventures of a 20-something year old woman navigating the wonderful world of food!

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Vegetarian Chili



My girlfriend Nikki had me over for lunch last fall, and we had AMAZING chili that she got out of the Looney Spoons cookbook. Nikki added ground turkey to hers which was fantastic; however I have been trying to eat less meat for my New Years resolution so I made the vegetarian recipe at home. I modified it slightly to my own personal tastes - the great thing about chili is you can easily swap out whatever veggies you have on hand. The original recipe calls for mushrooms, but I'm not a huge fan so I added carrots instead.

Just before serving, add a dollop of sour cream & some shredded cheese on top. 

Ingredients:
Spices:
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp cumin
1 1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tbsp basil

Veggies & Beans:
3/4 cup chopped celery (about 2 stalks)
1 carrot, peeled & chopped
2 medium onions, diced
1 large green pepper, chopped
1 large zucchini, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 28oz can diced tomatoes with juice OR 3-4 tomatoes, diced
1 can corn, rinsed & drained
1 can black beans, rinsed & drained
1 can garbanzo or kidney beans, rinsed & drained well

Crock-pot method: Put all ingredients into large crockpot, stir well with spices & cook on low for 6-7 hours.
Stove-top: Stir well & bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir well, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 1 hour until vegetables are tender.

Source: LooneySpoons - Janet & Greta Podlanski

No comments:

Post a Comment