The culinary adventures of a 20-something woman navigating the wonderful world of food!

The culinary adventures of a 20-something year old woman navigating the wonderful world of food!

Monday, May 10, 2010

Chicken Pad Thai

       One of the things I miss most about living in a larger city (aside from Starbucks!) is the variety of ethnic food available. In the Kitchener-Waterloo region, you can get Thai, Indian, Japanese, Korean, Mexican and about 6 other ethnic varieties in the same block. My sister is constantly calling me to tell me about a new restaurant she has found that has a three-course meal for $10. 
       In Woodstock, there is very little ethnic diversity, which translates into a fairly generic set of restaurants. There are only two places that I have found thus far with really good ethnic food: Banana Leaf (thai) and A taste of China (I think you can guess). Both of them are quite expensive compared to the ethnic places in Waterloo. So when I want a little kick to my dinner, I usually have to make it myself.
        This chicken pad thai turned out amazingly well - but I have to admit, I used a seasoning package. Its too hard & too expensive to find the various seasonings & sauces needed to make this dish from scratch where we live. But thats good for all of you out there who ALSO live in a small town! 
         It has a bit of a spicy kick, so if your palette isn't used to spice, have the meal with a glass of milk - or better yet - a beer. Both milk & beer will offset the spiciness of the meal. Whatever you do, don't drink water!! Water will actually make it seem hotter. Little tidbit that i learned from my days at Curry on Wellington. Also, I cooked the rice noodles whilst the chicken was browning, so that they were cooked in time to add near the end.


Ingredients:
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
1 each red, yellow & orange pepper, thinly sliced
1/2 cup green onions, sliced
1 small grated carrot
2 cups bean sprouts
2 tbsp oil
2 - 28g "Pad Thai" seasoning mix (I used Sun-Bird brand)
2 tbsp sesame oil
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 cup milk or light cream
3 tbsp peanut butter
4 cups cooked rice noodles

Directions:
  1. In a large wok, heat 2tbsp oil and add chicken. Cook until chicken is no longer pink inside, about 8 minutes.
  2. Add peppers, grated carrot and about 1/4 cup diced green onion. Cook another 2 minutes. Add bean sprouts & cook another 2 minutes.
  3. Mix together seasoning mix, milk, sesame oil & soy sauce. Add peanut butter and add to chicken & veggie mix until peanut butter is blended in. Add cooked rice noodles & cook another 3-4 minutes, until sauce has thickened.
  4. Plate & garnish with chopped peanuts & green onion.

1 comment:

  1. totally trying this tomorrow!!!!!

    ReplyDelete