The culinary adventures of a 20-something woman navigating the wonderful world of food!

The culinary adventures of a 20-something year old woman navigating the wonderful world of food!

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Rosemary Bread

          I love, love, love bread. I can smell a bakery from a mile away. When I lived in Stratford, there were at least 4 bakeries that I could get fresh-baked bread from on a regular basis (and I worked at one of them!) Unfortunately, I haven't found anywhere (yet!) in Woodstock that has the same (and I don't count grocery stores....its not really fresh bread). If anyone knows of a great bakery to get fresh bread from in Woodstock, please let me know!! In the meantime, I have taken up baking bread with a little help from my dear friend Cait.
             This recipe for rosemary bread comes from Martha Stewart Living. I followed the recipe exactly, and it was very good. Mine turned out slightly dense, so next time I would let the bread rise another 1 hour.  Great bread for an Italian dinner, or for sandwiches. This recipe makes 2 medium-sized loaves. Bon Appetit!

          
Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups white flour, plus a little more for dusting
1 cup warm water
1 1/2 tsp instant yeast
5 tbsp olive oil, plus more for brushing
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp rosemary, crushed
sea salt, for dusting

Directions:
1. Combine all ingredients and knead well (50+ times). If you have a stand mixer with a bread hook, mix on low for 1 minute and then medium-high speed for 2.
2. Place in a lightly oiled bowl and cover loosely with saran wrap. Place in a warm, draft-free place and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour (I would increase to 2).
3. Split into 2 loaves. Cut 3 slits onto top of bread, and with lightly floured hands, work gently into desired shape.  Let rise for another 30-60 minutes. Brush with olive oil & sea salt
4. Place loaves on a bread stone and bake in a preheated oven at 400F for approximately 30 minutes. Halfway through baking, if you spray bread with water, it will have a crispy crust with a soft inside.
5. Remove from oven and let cool on wire rack for at least 30 minutes before serving.

Source: Adapted from Martha Stewart Living

No comments:

Post a Comment