The culinary adventures of a 20-something woman navigating the wonderful world of food!

The culinary adventures of a 20-something year old woman navigating the wonderful world of food!

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Blueberry-Peach Parfait

         A few months ago, I decided to take up running. I thought it would be a great way to get into shape without spending a lot of money. I met another girl online (yes, I know that sounds creepy) and we started a running club together. So far, we are the only members. But the term "running club" sounds so much cooler than "this girl I run with"; so I go with club.
        We have been able to work up our distance pretty quickly - in about 6 weeks, we have gone from walking most of the 5km to running most of it - pretty awesome for a bunch of beginners. I was talking (okay, bragging) about it at work to a fellow runner, Janet. She looked a bit smug, but didn't say anything, until another girl asked her how far she had run the day before. 23 kilometres. She almost looked embarassed as she said it. Two-three!! Not 2.3 (which I would be impressed with), but 23! Turns out, she ran from her house all the way to St.Mary's. Even driving that far makes me sweat! 
         So, I have decided that I must ramp up my running. At this age, and in the good physical condition I am in, I have no excuses. So although my old goal was to be able to run 5km by mid-October, my new goal is 10km. I'm going to enroll in some type of race to hold me accountable. And, of course, I have posted this on my blog. So now I have all of you devoted(??) followers to make sure that I do this.


On the night that we go for our runs, I have a light dinner with protein, complex carbs & fruit. I have found that this blueberry-peach parfait is perfect for filling me up without dragging me down. It takes two minutes to make.




Ingredients:
1/2 cup plain yoghurt 
1/4 cup unsweetened granola 
1 small peach, sliced
1/4 cup blueberries
1 tsp flax seed, ground


Directions: Layer all ingredients as desired. Serve immediately :)

No comments:

Post a Comment