As the summer comes to a close, the husband and I are frantically trying to keep it alive as long as possible. I think we might have used the barbeque more this past week than the entire summer! One of my favourite things to grill is actually vegetables (the husband says the grill cries every time I say this). So to please us both, I did the whole dinner on the grill last night - meat AND vegetables. And of course I’m biased, but it was fantastic. And simple. Barbequed chicken & vegetable skewers - if that doesn’t say summer, I don’t know what does!
4 chicken breasts, bone-in and skin-on
4 tbsp Italian or Greek salad dressing, low fat
Fresh ground pepper.
1 each red, green, yellow pepper (large)
red onion or carrot thinly sliced
2 tbsp Italian dressing
1 tsp balsamic vinaigrette
Greek seasoning, salt & pepper
1. Marinate chicken up to 24 hours in dressing. Cut vegetables into large bite size pieces, and toss with dressing. Thread onto skewers (should make 4). This can be done just before chicken is ready to grill.
2. Preheat grill to 350F (or about medium).
3. Place chicken, breast side up, on grill, and close lid. Cook for 10 minutes then add skewers on top rack. Turn the chicken a total of 4 times, and the skewers about 4-6 times.
4. Cook until chicken is no longer pink and skewers are cooked but vegetables are still crispy. (about 25-30 minutes).
5. Serve with rice or bread and enjoy!
Chicken Breast - about 250 calories
Vegetable Skewer - about 50 calories each
Weight Watchers Points - 5 before rice and bread.