The culinary adventures of a 20-something woman navigating the wonderful world of food!

The culinary adventures of a 20-something year old woman navigating the wonderful world of food!

Monday, November 1, 2010

Jambalaya

I think I have mentioned before that the husband puts hot sauce on everything. He just loves things spicy; so I when I had some sausage & chicken I wanted to use, I knew that Jambalaya would be perfect.
This recipe was really easy, used minimal dishes, and came out fantastic. I have absolutely no idea how 'authentic' it is - I've never been to New Orleans, and I don't have any friends from the South to tell me. (Update - someone from New Orleans tells me that it is highly authentic! Yippee!!)
But I know it tasted divine, and was spicy without being too much. Enjoy!




Ingredients:

  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
  • 4 medium sausages, sliced into rounds
  • 2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 small green bell pepper, diced
  • 2 stalks celery, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 (16 ounce) can crushed Italian tomatoes OR 2 large fresh tomatoes + 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 cup uncooked brown rice
  • 2 1/2 cups chicken broth


Directions:
1. Preheat non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Add oil, sausage chicken and onion and cook until sausage and chicken are cooked, about 6 minutes.
3. Add green pepper, celery, garlic and cajun seasoning and cook another 3 minutes.
4. Add all remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low, for a gentle simmer. Cook, covered, for 25 minutes until most liquid is absorbed and rice is cooked.
5. Remove from heat and let sit, still covered, for 3 minutes.
Fluff and serve!

Weight Watchers: 5 points per 1 1/2 cup serving.


Source: Adapted from www.allrecipes.com


No comments:

Post a Comment