The culinary adventures of a 20-something woman navigating the wonderful world of food!

The culinary adventures of a 20-something year old woman navigating the wonderful world of food!

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Perfect Fall Squash Soup

My parents had what us farmers call a "bumper" squash crop this year. They literally had hundreds of acorn squash in a period of just a few weeks. Since the husband doesn't eat squash (or soup); I decided to make a recipe that I really wanted, just for me. I didn't use a recipe, I just took what I knew about making soup and made some adjustments as I went along. This soup turned out fabulously - not to mention, healthy. Great way to use some squash. I will post a picture as soon as I get it uploaded!


Ingredients:
1 acorn squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into cubes
1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into cubes
2 apples, peeled & diced.
1 tbsp butter
1 onion, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg


Directions:
1. In a large pot, heat butter and cook onion, celery, garlic, about 5 minutes, until onion is translucent. 
2. Add squash and roast for about 4 minutes.
3. Add broth, bring to a boil; and reduce heat. Simmer over low heat for 10 minutes. Add apples and spices and cook another 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
4. Pour into a food processor (you may have to do this in 2 batches) and pulse on low until well blended.
5. Pour back into pot and cook over low heat for 2 minutes. Serve.


Note - You can adjust the spices as you please. If it needs more of a "kick"; try adding more ginger or cumin in 1/4 tsp increments.


Weight Watchers: 1 pt per 1 cup serving.


**Tip** - to make the squash easier to work with, place whole squash in a large pot of boiling water for about 2 minutes. Will be easier to cut and peel - just be careful as squash will be hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment