The culinary adventures of a 20-something woman navigating the wonderful world of food!

The culinary adventures of a 20-something year old woman navigating the wonderful world of food!

Monday, November 15, 2010

Turkey Chili

     The weather has really started to turn here, and its quite cold & damp most of the time. Though my first instinct is simply to curl up under the covers and stay in bed all day, I have a feeling that wouldn't sit well with the Boss or the Husband. Since the darling husband and I both hate cold weather & winter, so I find that we are especially craving comfort food to get us through the Canadian fall & winter season.
     I have had to tweak my typical comfort food recipes as I am still doing Weight Watchers. I must say, its been very easy, and I actually find myself preferring the healthy recipes. This recipe for turkey chili is divine, and you don't have to feel guilty for eating it! I modified a recipe from Cathy's Kitchen Journey, and voila! Easy, delicious & nutritious.





Ingredients: 
Non-stick spray + 1 tbsp oil
1  chopped onions
1 lb ground turkey
1 cans red kidney beans, drained & rinsed well

1 can white kidney beans, drained & rinsed well
1 28oz can stewed tomatoes, undrained
1 can tomato sauce
1 chicken bouillon cube + 2 tbsp boiling water
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
2 tbsp chili powder (more or less to taste)
2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp paprika
Directions:
1.I n a heavy pot or dutch oven, spray non-stick and add oil. 

2. Over medium-high heat, cook onions until translucent. Remove onions.
3. In the same pot over medium-high heat cook ground turkey until browned. Add jalapeño and re-add onions, stirring well for about 1 minute.
4. Stir in remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and simmer 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.


Nutritional Information:
Per serving: 1 1/3 cups: 275 calories, 5 pts (Weight Watchers)


Source: Adapted from Cathy's Kitchen Journey

No comments:

Post a Comment