The culinary adventures of a 20-something woman navigating the wonderful world of food!

The culinary adventures of a 20-something year old woman navigating the wonderful world of food!

Monday, July 5, 2010

Curried Red Lentil Soup

        I have been on a huge thai kick lately - and thanks to the Banana Leaf in Woodstock, I can get great Thai food almost any day of the week. The only thing is, you have absolutely no idea how fattening the food is when you don't make it. So I scoured the Internet searching for what sounded like a good Thai soup. I found this on Allrecipes, and just adapted it slightly to suit what ingredients I had on hand.
        It turned out phenomenally! One of the best soups I have ever had, and I am not saying that because I made it :) I completely forgot to take a photo, although since I am an amateur photographer, the soup never looks as cool as some other foods. You will just have to trust me on this :)

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon peanut or sesame oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/3 cup dry red lentils
1 medium potato - peeled, and cubed
1/3 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 cup julienned or grated carrots
1/2 cup finely diced red pepper
2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1 can light coconut milk (about 1 1/3 cup)
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon curry powder
1/8 teaspoon cumin
1 pinch cayenne pepper
1 pinch ground nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste


Directions:
1. In large saucepan, heat oil with onion, ginger & garlic. Saute for about 3-4 minutes.
2. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let summer for 45 minutes.

3. In a food processor, blend half of the soup for 1 minute. Add back to remaining soup.
4. Don't be afraid to add or remove ingredients to your liking - this soup is very forgiving! Make sure to add spices in small increments (1/4 tsp) - it is far easier to add than to remove!






1 comment:

  1. I bet the coconut milk adds a delicious flavor. I'll keep this recipe in mind next time I find myself with the stuff.

    ReplyDelete