The culinary adventures of a 20-something woman navigating the wonderful world of food!

The culinary adventures of a 20-something year old woman navigating the wonderful world of food!

Monday, July 5, 2010

Devilled Eggs

           As most of you are well aware, I love, love, love food. I will eat pretty much anytime, anywhere, any occasion. Unfortunately, my love of food this past year has turned into about 15 extra pounds on my body. I knew things had to change when the time came to put on my summer clothes, and NOTHING from last year fit.
         I don't mean "the odd pair of pants was too small," either. I mean my darling husband has had to buy me all new clothes just so I can go to work in the morning. A few weeks ago, I went outside to do yard work, and my old pants SPLIT OPEN. In the middle of our yard, surrounded by neighbours. The husband and our roommate thought it quite funny, but I knew at that exact moment that the days of lemon loaf and chocolate cake were (temporarily, at least) gone.

        I have found in the past that I eat way too many carbs, so one of the modifications I have made to my diet is eating less carbs, more veggies & protein. So today's recipe is a healthier version of devilled eggs. They are the perfect mid-afternoon snack when I normally might head to Coffee Culture to get a (400 calorie!) muffin. Each 1/2 devilled egg has about 55 calories.
       This recipe can easily be doubled, or even quadrupled. Its perfect for me to have 2 snacks.



Ingredients:
3 eggs, hard-boiled
1 tbsp light mayo
1 tsp dijon mustard
dash of celery salt
dash of paprika
dash of pepper

Directions:
1. Peel hard-boiled eggs, and rinse well.
2. Slice lengthwise and remove yolk. Mash up yolk well in small bowl.
3. Add remaining ingredients to yolk and spoon back into each egg half.
4. Makes 6 1/2 eggs.


      
    

No comments:

Post a Comment