4 skinless boneless chicken breasts
1 egg + 1tsp water
1/2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
2 tsp vegetable oil
|2 Tbsp light cream cheese, softened|
|1 Tbsp pesto|
|2 Tbsp chopped, roasted red pepper|
- Preheat the oven to 425˚F. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking oil.
- Working with one at a time, place the chicken breasts between two sheets of waxed paper and pound to an even 1/4-inch thickness.
- Stir the cream cheese and pesto together in a small bowl until smooth. Divide the mixture among the chicken breasts, spreading it thinly over the surface. Scatter the red pepper overtop. Starting at the short end, roll up each chicken breast and secure with a toothpick or small skewer.
- Beat the egg and water together in a shallow bowl. Place the breadcrumbs on a plate.
- Spray a large non-stick skillet with cooking oil, add the oil and place over mediumhigh heat. Dip each chicken roll in the egg mixture, then coat in the breadcrumbs. Cook, turning occasionally, for 3 minutes or until well browned on all sides. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the center. Remove the toothpicks and serve whole or slice the rolls into medallions.
Source: Rose Reisman at www.artoflivingwell.ca