One of my favourite places to eat is Perth County Food Co, in Stratford Ontario. It is a gem of a deli that always has cabbage rolls available. Now that I don't live or work in Stratford it is increasingly difficult to get my hands on these delicious babies. Solution? Make them. Well, sorta.....
Cabbage rolls are time-consuming, even though the result is totally worth it. But what to do when you want cabbage rolls but lack time? The lazy man version: cabbage roll casserole. Prep time is only about 15 minutes, and after an hour in the oven you have the deliciousness that is cabbage rolls without the effort. You are welcome :)
1 lb ground beef (or pork)
2 cloves garlic
1 large onion, diced
1 can tomato soup
1 (28oz) canned tomatoes, no salt added, including liquid
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
ground black pepper
1 tsp italian seasoning
1/4 cup white wine
1/2 cup water
1 cup brown rice
4 cups shredded cabbage
1. In a large frying pan over med-high heat, brown ground beef with onion and garlic.
2. Add tomato soup, canned tomatoes, salt, sugar, pepper, italian seasoning, wine, water and rice.
3. Combine well and simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Grease a 3-qt casserole dish. Put 1/2 the cabbage in, and top with 1/2 the ground beef mixture. Add remaining cabbage then remaining beef. Make sure to get all the liquid.
5. Bake at 325F for 1 hour. Check after 35 minutes to see if there is enough (or too much) liquid for the rice. Add more water (1/4 cup at a time) or rice (1 tbsp at a time) accordingly.