The culinary adventures of a 20-something woman navigating the wonderful world of food!

The culinary adventures of a 20-something year old woman navigating the wonderful world of food!

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Grandma's Ginger Snaps

         Many of you have had Grandma's Lemon Loaf, and know that it is the best lemon loaf recipe in existence. Well, this recipe for ginger snaps is another one of those. Every time I share the cookies, I get asked for the recipe. It is really, really good. 
         There are a few ways you can do the white sugar on top - before or after they bake. I would experiment and do a tray each way and decide what you (and your oven) likes best. I strongly encourage no substitutions unless you are an expert baker.
          I used these cookies in my Cookie Tins at Christmas - I handed out about 25 tins, and was asked for this recipe from a record 14 people!! I actually quadrupled the recipe and it worked fine. I found the best method for getting perfect cookies involved rolling the dough into a "log"; putting it in the fridge overnight and cutting into perfect circles in the morning by slicing 1/4" pieces from the log. I sprinkled with sugar before I baked, and added a tiny bit after. 







Ingredients:
3/4 Cup Crisco shortening
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 cup white sugar
1 egg, well beaten
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
4 tbsp molasses
White sugar for dusting - about 1/3 cup


Directions:
1. In a large bowl sift together flour, soda, and spices.
2. In a medium bowl, cream sugar with Crisco. Add egg and molasses and mix well. 
3. Mix wet & dry ingredients until well-blended. 
4. Form into a log and wrap tightly with saran wrap
5. Put dough into fridge all night or at least 4 hours until baking.
6. Spray a non-stick cookie pan with Pam and cut cookies about 1/8".
7. Sprinkle lightly with sugar - if you have trouble getting the sugar to stick, lightly indent cookies with a fork.
8. Bake at 350 F approx 9 minutes.


When you remove the cookies from the oven, dust with more white sugar. 

1 comment: