The culinary adventures of a 20-something woman navigating the wonderful world of food!

The culinary adventures of a 20-something year old woman navigating the wonderful world of food!

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Zucchini-Blueberry Loaf

When I was in Florida last month, my MIL made a delicious blueberry-zucchini loaf. One of the best loaves I have ever, ever had. I finally got her to hand over the recipe so I could make it myself, but I was sad to see the original recipe has a TON of sugar and oil. I decided to try and make it substantially healthier so that I can make it on a regular basis, and I am happy to say, success!!!






Ingredients:
3 eggs lightly beaten
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup applesauce
3 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar (or sugar substitute)
2 1/2 cups shredded zucchini
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup ground flax seed
1/2 cup wheat bran, or whole-wheat flour
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries

Directions:
Grease 2 regular loaf pans
Beat eggs, oil, applesauce, vanilla and sugar then fold in zucchini
Blend flour, flax seed, wheat bran, salt, baking powder, baking soda & cinnamon
Gently fold in blueberries.
Transfer to greased loaf pans - I added a sprinkle of brown sugar and cinnamon on top as per MIL recommendation.
Bake 45-50 minutes at 350 F
Cool 20 minutes in pans then remove loaves to cool completely on wire racks.

Source: Adapted from www.allrecipes.com; and my MIL!

No comments:

Post a Comment