The culinary adventures of a 20-something woman navigating the wonderful world of food!

The culinary adventures of a 20-something year old woman navigating the wonderful world of food!

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Apple Pie

It was my sister's birthday a few weeks ago, so I made her lasagna and apple pie and drove with my mom to visit her where she lives. For those of you who know my sister, she is a phenomenal cook - much better than me (for now at least, but she best watch out!!) I was quite nervous making her food, so I turned to an ancient cookbook to make the pie (the older, the better is a good rule of thumb). I did cheat and use Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust (its so close to the real thing!) If you look closely you can see I added a....."decoration" (ie naked barbie doll) to the centre of the pie. Family birthday tradition....don't ask me why! Happy Birthday, Tracey.



Ingredients
  • 2 prepared 8 inch pastry shells (I used Pillsbury)
  • 7 tart baking apples - peeled, cored and sliced
  • 1/3 cup white sugar
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • coarse sugar

  • Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
  2. Place sliced apples in a large bowl. In a small bowl combine sugar, cinnamon, and flour. Stir well and pour mixture over apples. Cut butter into small pieces and add to apples. Toss apples until thoroughly coated.
  3. Pour apples into pastry-lined pie pan. Place second pastry on top. Seal edges and cut steam vents in top crust. Brush egg onto crush and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
  4. Bake in preheated oven for 40 to 50 minutes, until crust is golden brown.



No comments:

Post a Comment