This Chinese tofu & vegetable stir-fry recipe is perfect for all of the tofu skeptics out there, because you can't even tell its tofu. The sauce is moderately spicy, and perfectly sweet. And best of all? Its healthy. Serve it with brown rice and you have a complete meal.
2 tbsp chilli sauce
¼ cup brown sugar
1 tbsp hoisin sauce
2 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 cup vegetable, chicken or beef broth
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp ginger root, minced
2 tbsp corn starch
4 cups assorted vegetables
2 tbsp vegetable, chicken or beef broth
1 cup firm tofu, cubed & dried
2 tbsp vegetable or cooking oil
4 cups cooked rice
1) Combine first 8 ingredients in a bowl & whisk well
2) In a large wok over medium heat, cook tofu & 1tbsp oil for about 6-7 minutes, until tofu is lightly browned. Remove tofu from pan.
3) Add another 1 tbsp oil to pan along with vegetables & remaining 2 tbsp broth and sauté for about 5 minutes, until vegetables are cooked but still crispy.
4) Add tofu back to pan along with sauce and cook for about 2-3 minutes, until heated through and sauce has thickened.
5) Serve over bed of steamed rice.
Source: Adapted from Rose Reisman "The Art of Living Well" cookbook.