Just like almost everybody I know, I am constantly on the
prowl for healthy recipes that don't compromise on flavour or
appearance. I found a blueberry muffin recipe on www.allrecipes.com with
a scrumptious-looking picture but with less than 150 calories per serving
- WAY less than most muffin recipes.
The overall result was very good, though I wasn't "wowed" the way
that I hoped. At the end of the day, I still prefer a full-fat, high
calorie muffin taste-wise, but since my waist won't let me indulge like
I used to, these are a good runner-up ):
These muffins are actually best the next day, so they
are perfect to make for snacks the week ahead. I will certainly make
them again when I am looking for a healthy yet tasty muffin.
Crumb topping, if desired: Mix 2 tbsp each of flour, brown sugar, white sugar, oats and butter. Add 1/2 tsp cinnamon and mix well. Sprinkle over muffins.
1) Combine dry ingredients in large mixing bowl. Add blueberries.
2) In separate bowl, mix wet ingredients.
3) Add the wet to the dry ingredients and mix until just blended. DO NOT overmix.
4) Bake in a preheated oven at 350 F for 18-21 minutes. Muffins are done when toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Source: Adapted from "Health Nut Blueberry Muffins", www.allrecipes.com