The culinary adventures of a 20-something woman navigating the wonderful world of food!

The culinary adventures of a 20-something year old woman navigating the wonderful world of food!

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Classic French Toast

    I love breakfast. It is my favourite meal of the day, and in addition to coffee, the only reason to get out of bed in the morning. I love nothing more than lying in bed with the sun rising, deciding what to make when I finally get up.
    This morning, however, I didn't have to decide. I had a perfect loaf of french crusty bread waiting so that I could make french toast. You see the secret to french toast has little to do with the eggs, or milk or vanilla. It has everything to do with the bread. I prefer a good homemade loaf, but a store-bought loaf of crusty bread from the bakery will work perfectly. With the french toast I had maple syrup fresh from the mennonites at the St.Jacobs, & fresh strawberries from the market. Happy eating!




          


Ingredients:
4-6 slices of thick white bread
3 eggs
2 tbsp milk
1 tsp pure vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
icing sugar
fresh strawberries
maple syrup


Directions:
Combine egg, milk, vanilla & cinnamon. Dip each slice of bread & saturate well. Place on pre-heated grill (350F, or medium in a frying pan) and cook for 3-4 minutes per side. Remove & dust with icing sugar & cinnamon. Serve with maple syrup & fresh berries.

No comments:

Post a Comment